- Fire Department
- Life Safety
- Construction Requirements
- Commercial Kitchen Hood & Extinguishing System Submittals
Commercial Kitchen Hood & Extinguishing System Submittals
Submittal Requirements for Kitchen Hood and Duct Extinguishing Systems
Reference: 2021 Arkansas Fire Prevention Code, Volume 1 Fire, 2021 Arkansas Fire Prevention Code Volume II Building, 2017 NFPA 17, 17A, & 96
A. Working plans shall be drawn to an indicated scale (not smaller than 1/8" = 1’), on sheets of uniform size (11" x 17" minimum), including a kitchen floor plan showing exits. Plans should be submitted to the city of Paragould Fire Department. Allow at least two weeks for plans to be reviewed.
The following items must be included in the plans:
- Names of owner and occupant;
- Address of building, including assessor's block and lot number;
- Contractor's name, address, telephone number, and license number;
- Point of compass;
- Symbol list;
- Drawing showing kitchen layout, including exits, pantry and access to dining area; This should include hood, duct, plenum, and appliance dimensions; Indicate the actual surface dimension being protected as well as the size of the unit (e.g. 36" griddle with 30" x 24" cooking surface); All appliances must be locked in place; If the appliance is moveable for cleaning, permanent markers shall be installed to ensure that the appliance is returned to its proper design location.
- Location of all parts of the system:
- Panels; Piping (size and length); Nozzles (type and distance to the appliance); Mechanical fuel shut-off devices; Agent storage container (type and size); Manual pull station and related cable (show installation height above floor); Detection devices and related cables; Type K portable fire extinguisher.
- Attach to the plans the manufacturers' specification sheets for all the above. Highlight all proposed parts (Use the same terminology on the plans as is in the design manual; i.e. range not stove or burner); all parts must be installed according to the manufacturers' specifications; all listed systems must be UL Standard 300.
- Pipe length calculations (both actual and equivalency); Indicate actual, maximum and minimum lengths of pipe and equivalent lengths; Show the actual and maximum vertical rise; Show branch line limitations;
- Flow point calculations;
- When the building has a fire alarm system, the hood suppression system shall be connected to the system (any activation shall be indicated by alarm status at the FACP);
- Alarm or indicator that shows system has activated;
A. The system or systems shall be serviced at least every 6 (six) months and after system activation. Records shall be maintained per the 2021 AFPC Section 609.3.3.1 and 609.3.3.3
B. Comply with section 609 of the AFPC for cleaning and maintaining Type I Commercial Kitchen Hoods NOTE: Cleaning intervals have increased for systems that have a high volume of use and systems using solid fuels.
C. Fusible links and sprinkler heads must be replaced as required by Section 904.5.2 and 904.6.2 of the 2021 AFPC.
D. Monitoring shall be required when where a building has a fire alarm system installed in accordance with Section 904.3.5 of the 2021 AFPC.
For a printable version of these submittal requirements click here. Plan submittals can be made in person at 700 Highway 49 N, Paragould, AR 72450 or plans can be emailed in digital format by clicking here.